How to apply for an IELTS Test
There are three ways to apply for an IELTS Test: by post, email, online or in person at one of our campuses.
Please note that our online registration closes one week before the test. However, you may still apply in person until 1pm one day before the test date by visiting our Customer Service Office at Acton Campuus.
Important information - Please note that no applications can be considered or processed if any of the following is missing:
- Application form, fully completed including signature on page 4 of the form
- 2 recent (not older than six months) passport-sized photographs attached to the front page of the application form
- A photocopy of the Passport or a National Identity Card (NI - EU nationals only)
- Payment: postal order or card payment form
- You must indicate a second test date choice, as test dates become fully booked very quickly and we are often not able to accommodate your preferred test date.
Our test centre uses three campuses; in Acton, Ealing and Hammersmith.
Check to see if there are still places available for the date you prefer. Often dates can be fully booked a month before the test, so remember to put a second choice date on the application form. We process applications on a first-come first-served basis and the dates fill up very quickly.
Should you wish, you may specify the order of preference for the test venue from 1 – 3 on the application formand we will do our best to accommodate your request. However, please note that we cannot guarantee which campus your test will be in as this depends on availability.
Click here for a list of our test dates and venues.
1. Applying in person
You can apply at our main IELTS office in Acton, or in Hammersmith, Ealing or Southall.
Please click here for our Acton office opening hours.
Please make sure you bring with you two passport sized photographs (no older than 6 months), your passport or National Identity card (NI - EU national only), and your method of payment.
We accept payment by credit card, debit card, cash or postal order. Postal orders should be made payable only to ‘Ealing, Hammersmith & West London College’
Click here for our cash office opening times
2. Applying by post
- Download the application form and fill it in, making sure you complete all the questions. Please ensure you indicate a second test date choice, as test dates become fully booked very quickly and we are often not able to accommodate your preferred test date.
- Download a card payment form and fill it in with your credit or debit card details. Alternatively you can pay with a postal order. Please make postal orders payable to ‘Ealing, Hammersmith & West London College’. Please do not send cash by post.
- Make a clear photocopy of the main page (the page with your photograph) of your passport.
- Send all three documents to us by post, to the following address:
Ealing, Hammersmith & West London College
3. Applying by email
- Download the application form, print it out and fill it in, making sure you complete all the questions. Please make sure you indicate a second test date choice, as test dates become fully booked very quickly and we are often not able to accommodate your preferred test date.
- Attach two passport sized photographs (not older than 6 months) to the front page of the application form.
- Scan the application form (pages 1-4) and save the file in PDF or JPEG format.
- Download the payment form, print it out and fill it in with your credit or debit card details.
- Scan the payment form and save the file in PDF or JPEG format.
- Make a clear copy of the main page (the page with your photograph) of your passport, and save the file in PDF or JPEG format.
- Email all three documents (application form with photographs, payment form, passport copy) in a single email to email@example.com. Please do not send your email more than once, as this may result in double bookings. Please ensure the total file size of attachments does not exceed 5MB.
4. Applying online
Click here to apply online.
5. Identification Documents
On the day of the test you must have your passport or national identity card (NI – EU National Only) with you. You will not be allowed to sit the test without the correct document.
If you are sending your passport to an embassy or to the Home Office, you must first get a verified copy of your passport made.
You can have your passport copy verified ONLY by one of our IELTS staff members at our centre - Acton Campus. Please remember to do this when you apply for the test.
We can verify your passport copy, but to do this we must see the original passport. You will need to come to our Acton Campus with your passport, before the date of your test.
If your passport is already with the Home Office, you will need to call the Home Office and request them to release the passport for the day.
Without your original passport or a verified copy, you will not be allowed to sit the test.
6. Block bookings
Colleges and schools wishing to send groups of candidates to us on a specific date can make a block booking in advance. Application forms should be received at least 2 weeks before the test date. Colleges can arrange to be invoiced for their candidate’s test fees.
7. Cancellations and transfers
Cancellations and transfers are only possible if they are requested more than 5 weeks before the test date (we charge a £25 administrative fee). Candidates who fail to attend the test are not entitled to a refund (unless you can provide medical evidence within 5 days of the test date to confirm that you could not sit the test for medical reasons – please see our FAQs for more information).
All cancellations and transfers must be applied for in writing. Please email your completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org or post to IELTS Administrator.
Click here to download a copy of our Refunds and Transfers form.
8. How will I know that I have been accepted?
Once we have received all the required documents, if there is availability on one of your preferred dates of test, we will send you a confirmation letter with details of the test date, time and how to get there. You must bring this confirmation letter and your passport with you on the day of the test.
9. When will I get my Test Result Form (TRF)?
TRFs are posted 2 weeks after the test, by 1st class Royal Mail delivery.
10. What if I am not happy with my results?
If you are not happy with your results then you have the option to appeal your results and have them re-marked by a senior examiner at the British Council. To do this you will need to fill out an Enquiry on Results form (EOR) (available to download here) and return it to us along with a £60 postal order as a deposit. If the results increase to a higher band after being re-marked we will return this deposit. If the results remain the same then we will charge the deposit amount.
Please note that re-marking requests can take at least 6-8 weeks to be completed.
Please note that you must make your EOR request within six weeks of your test date.
11. How to apply for IELTS preparation courses
Click here to find out how to apply for an IELTS preparation course.
To speak with a preparation course adviser, please visit us at our Acton campus, during our opening hours.
'Please be advised that the Health and Safety policy of the College states that hoods, baseball caps or any item which covers the face, are not permitted on the premises of the college. It is also the IELTS test policy that your face needs to be visible throughout the test day for identity verification.'