How to apply for an IELTS Test
There are four ways to apply: by post, email, online or in person at one of our campuses.
Please note that our online registration closes one week before the test. However, you may still apply in person until 1pm one day before the test date by visiting our Customer Service Office in Acton (subject to availability). .
Important information - Please note that no applications can be considered or processed if any of the following is missing:
- Application form, fully completed (either online or a paper version).
- A photocopy of your Passport, your European Union National Identity Card or your valid UK Residence Permit. On the test day, you must bring the same ID document that you submitted with your Application Form.
- Payment: card payment form or postal order (in the name of EHWLC). Please make sure that you read the IELTS test Terms and Conditions including the information about cancellations and refunds before you pay for the test.
Click here for a list of our test dates and venues.
We process all applications on a first-come first-served basis and dates can fill up very quickly.
Before applying for the test please note that the Health and Safety policy of the College states that hoods, baseball caps or any items which cover the face are not permitted on the premises of the college. The face needs to be visible throughout the test day for identity verification.
1. Applying in person
You can apply at our main IELTS office, which is based in Acton, or contact an IELTS representative at our Ealing Campus.
Please click here for our office opening hours.
Please make sure you bring your passport, your European Union National Identity card or your Valid UK Residence Permit and your method of payment.
We accept payment by credit or debit card (with the exception of Visa Electron and American Express), cash or postal order. Postal orders should be made payable to ‘Ealing, Hammersmith & West London College’.
2. Applying by post
- Download and complete the application form. Make sure you complete all fields and sign the application form. Please indicate a second test date choice, as by the time we receive your application by post, your first choice test date may no longer be available.
- Download and complete the card payment form . Please note we do not accept Amex and Visa Electron. Make sure you include all requested card details and sign the payment form. Alternatively you can pay with a postal order (payable to ‘Ealing, Hammersmith & West London College’). Please do not send cash by post.
- Make a clear photocopy of your ID document (either your passport or your European Union National Identity card or your valid UK Residence Permit). We need the page with your name, your date of birth, your photograph, your passport number and expiry date.
- Send all three documents to the following address:
Ealing, Hammersmith & West London College
3. Applying by email
- Download and complete the application form. Make sure you complete all fields and sign the application form. Please indicate a second test date choice, as by the time we receive and process your application, your first choice test date may no longer be available. Scan the application form (pages 1-4 only) and save it in a PDF or JPEG format.
- Download and complete the card payment form . Please note we do not accept Amex and Visa Electron. Make sure you include all requested card details and sign the payment form. Scan the payment form and save it in a PDF or JPEG format.
- Make a clear photocopy of your ID document (either your passport or your European Union National Identity card or your valid UK Residence Permit). We need the page with your name, your photo, your date of birth, your passport number and expiry date. Save the scanned document in a PDF or JPEG format.
- Email all three attachments in a single email to firstname.lastname@example.org Please do not send your email more than once, as this may result in double bookings and double payments.
4. Applying online
Click here to apply online.
5. Identification Documents
On the day of the test you must have your passport or national identity card (NI – EU National Only) with you. You will not be allowed to sit the test without the correct document.
If you are sending your passport to an embassy or to the Home Office, you must first get a verified copy of your passport made.
You can have your passport copy verified ONLY by one of our IELTS staff members at our centre - Acton Campus. Please remember to do this when you apply for the test.
We can verify your passport copy, but to do this we must see the original passport. You will need to come to our Acton Campus with your passport, before the date of your test.
If your passport is already with the Home Office, you will need to call the Home Office and request them to release the passport for the day.
Without your original passport or a verified copy, you will not be allowed to sit the test.
6. Block bookings
Colleges and schools wishing to send groups of candidates to us on a specific date can make a block booking in advance. Application forms should be received at least 2 weeks before the test date. Colleges can arrange to be invoiced for their candidate’s test fees.
7. Cancellations and transfers
Refunds and transfers are only possible if they are requested more than 5 weeks before the test date (we charge a £35 administrative fee). Candidates who fail to attend the test are not entitled to a refund (unless medical evidence is provided within 5 days of the test date to confirm that you could not sit the test for medical reasons – please see our FAQs for more information).
8. How will I know that I have been accepted?
Once we have received all the required documents, if there is availability on one of your preferred dates of test, we will send you a confirmation letter with details of the test date, time and how to get there. You must bring this confirmation letter and your passport with you on the day of the test.
9. When will I get my Test Result Form (TRF)?
TRFs are posted 2 weeks after the test, by 1st class Royal Mail delivery.
10. What if I am not happy with my results?
Please note that IELTS Examiners and markers follow strict assessment guidelines and are regularly monitored. The IELTS testing process has the highest quality control procedures.
You can apply for an Enquiry on Results within six weeks of the test date and have them re-marked by a senior examiner at the British Council.
You must pay a £90 enquiry fee, which is fully refunded if your band score changes.
You will need to provide the following, either by post or in person: 1) A completed Enquiry on Results form (EOR) (available to download here) 2) Your Test Report Form (the original) 3)A £90 postal order, made payable to ‘Ealing, Hammersmith & West London College’.
Please note that re-marking requests will take at least 8-10 weeks to be completed.
11. How to apply for IELTS preparation courses
Click here to find out how to apply for an IELTS preparation course.
To speak with a preparation course adviser, please visit us at our Acton campus, during our opening hours.
'Please be advised that the Health and Safety policy of the College states that hoods, baseball caps or any item which covers the face, are not permitted on the premises of the college. It is also the IELTS test policy that your face needs to be visible throughout the test day for identity verification.'