Fees indicated are based on the current academic year (2019/20) and are subject to change next year.
For students under 19
Our courses & apprenticeships are usually free if you are 18 or under on the 31st of August 2019. Some courses have additional fees for things like materials and travel, which you will need to pay at the start of your course. Depending on your circumstances, you may be eligible for financial support for these costs.
For students aged 19 or over
If you are aged 19 or over you may be required to pay fees. Some courses may be free, depending on your circumstances. Certain Level 3 & 4 courses require you to pay the fee in full or take out an Advanced Learning Loan to pay for your course. Please see our guide to fees for more information.
Students from outside the EU/EEA need to pay the full international fee for their course. Please note, West London College does not offer Tier 4 Visa Sponsorship for students to study in the United Kingdom.
The AAT Foundation Certificate in Accounting is an ideal starting point for anyone wishing to pursue a career in accountancy or finance. The qualification ensures that students are well prepared to progress into a career in business, finance or professional accountancy, or into further education. This course covers a range of foundation accounting and finance skills in five mandatory units:
- Bookkeeping Transactions
- Bookkeeping Controls
- Elements of Costing
- Using Accounting Software
- Work Effectively in Finance. A student completing this qualification will develop accountancy skills in double-entry bookkeeping and basic costing, as well as an understanding of purchase, sales and general ledgers. Students will learn to use accounting software and to develop the professional skills and behaviours needed to contribute effectively in the workplace. Working in accountancy requires good communication skills, IT skills and an understanding of the business environment, all of which are covered by this qualification. This course is for you, if you wish to start on the first stage of your mainstream AAT studies. The study programme will give successful students the skills and knowledge to work competently, in Finance, accounting or bookkeeping role as well as the opportunity to progress their studies to the AAT Level 3 Diploma in Accounting. Alongside your Accounting programme you will engage in a 1- week work experience and other employer engagement activities which will enable you to gain valuable skills needed to succeed in the workplace.
Minimum 4 GCSEs grade C or 4 and above including maths and English.
All of the units within the qualification are mandatory and all assessments are completed by undertaking online examinations. Four units are assessed individually in end-of-unit assessments, but this qualification also includes a synoptic assessment that students sit towards the end of the qualification which is designed to test the students understanding of the connections between the different topics covered across the qualification.
Following successful completion of this qualification, your progression will normally be to the AAT Level 3 Advanced Diploma in Accounting or entered the L3 Accounting Assistant Apprenticeship. The finance, accountancy, business and communications skills developed in the AAT Foundation Certificate in Accounting can lead to employment as:
- an accounts administrator
- an accounts assistant
- an accounts payable clerk
- a purchase/sales ledger clerk
- a trainee accounting technician
- a trainee finance assistant .
You will learn in dedicated classrooms and computer rooms.
You will also have to complete some independent work.
This course is offered at Hammersmith & Fulham college.
The College offers welfare services to provide support and guidance whenever it is needed. The Colleges Learning Resource Centre provides excellent facilities for private study and includes access to computers, an extensive library and quiet study areas. As part of the course, employer visits and guest speakers will be arranged to enhance and contextualise your learning.