Learners study this course in preparation for:
- employment in Science
- Learners wishing to gain a Level 2 qualification to support further study in
Further Education (FE) in Science.
It’s designed as a one-year, full-time course of study.
BTEC Firsts are QCF Level 2 qualifications designed to provide specialist work-related qualifications in a range of sectors. They give learners the knowledge, understanding and skills that they need to prepare for employment. The qualifications also provide career development opportunities for those already in work. This course includes a series of practical and theoretical topics from biology, chemistry and physics giving you enough depth and breadth to continue onto a career or course in many fields of science.
Whilst on the course, you will study 6 units such as:
- Biotechnology Procedures and Applications;
- Working in a Science-Based Organisation;
- Biology and Our Environment;
- Energy and Our Universe;
- Chemical Analysis and Detection;
- Health Applications of Life Science;
- The Living Body;
- Applications of Physical Science;
- Chemistry and Our Earth.
- New modern laboratories
- Industry visits and talks offered on your programme, field trips
- Work placements available
Learners will have access to:
- scientific magazines
- the internet, relevant DVDs, simulation models
- a well-equipped laboratory
- materials/apparatus/equipment and/or laboratory instruments/sensors
- computers, DVDs and suitable texts, appropriate science and maths software packages to name a few