Fees indicated are based on the current year (August 2016 to July 2017) and are subject to change next year.
Our further education courses (Entry to Level 3) are usually free if you are 16-18 years old. Depending on your circumstances, you may be eligible for financial support to help with other costs associated with your course such as course materials and travel.
If you are aged 19 or over you may be required to pay fees.
If you are enrolling onto a Level 3 or 4 course and are over 19 years of age the fees may be higher and you will be required to take out an Advanced Learning Loan, please see the guide to fees for more information.
International students will be required to pay the full International course fee.
For more information, see our guide to fees.
Are you READY to join the Design Engineer & Construct world!
Then this Foundation certificate in Design Engineer & Construct (DEC) is just the course you need to get you ready to be creative and inspiring in the Built Environment world. Through a project based approach DEC applies academic subjects to the latest construction industry practices. This course gives young people a real world practical experience and employability skills.
Unit 1: Defining a Sustainable Construction Project – 12 credits (60 GLH)
- Research and convey the project remit.
- Set standards for sustainability in a construction project.
- Define site information required at pre-design phase.
Unit 2: Developing a Sustainable Construction Project – 10 credits (60 GLH)
- Prepare a design brief and take steps to appoint an effective design team.
- Use building information modelling techniques for concept design.
- Prepare information and resources needed to support a planning application.
Unit 3: Support Design, Structural and Services aspects of a Sustainable Construction Project – 8 credits (60 GLH)
- Use building information modelling techniques to develop the design
- Use building information modelling techniques to develop structural elements of a building project
- Use building information modelling techniques to develop building services elements of a building project
Unit 4: Lifecycle and Financial Planning for a Sustainable Construction Project – 10 credits (60 GLH)
- Use building information modelling techniques to support the operational management of a building.
- Understand cost analysis and financial control. 3. Produce a budget for a complex building project.
Unit 5: Evaluating and Documenting a Sustainable Construction Project – 10 credits (60 GLH)
- Make objective comparisons between construction methods.
- Communicate outcomes from professional perspectives.
- Make a presentation of a summary report to a critical audience.
This is a Level 3 course therefore you require a Level 3 Certificate qualification to join this course. Formal qualifications required. You must also have a real desire and enthusiasm to learn about the DEC industry and apply your English & maths skills.
You will need to meet the course criteria with both practical and basic knowledge requirements. Coursework, E-assessment, Multiple Choice Examination, Portfolio of Evidence, Practical Demonstration/Assignment.
Successful completion of this course could lead to you progressing to University or work in the Industry.
This is a theory and practical based course where you will be working with real life projects and people.