Fees indicated are based on the current year (August 2016 to July 2017) and are subject to change next year.
Our further education courses (Entry to Level 3) are usually free if you are 16-18 years old. Depending on your circumstances, you may be eligible for financial support to help with other costs associated with your course such as course materials and travel.
If you are aged 19 or over you may be required to pay fees.
If you are enrolling onto a Level 3 or 4 course and are over 19 years of age the fees may be higher and you will be required to take out an Advanced Learning Loan, please see the guide to fees for more information.
International students will be required to pay the full International course fee.
For more information, see our guide to fees.
Are you READY to join the Design Engineer & Construct world!
Then this Foundation certificate in Design Engineer & Construct (DEC) is just the course you need to get you ready to be creative and inspiring in the Built Environment world. Through a project based approach DEC applies academic subjects to the latest construction industry practices. This course gives young people a real world practical experience and employability skills.
Units you will cover are as follows:- Unit 1: Defining a Sustainable Construction Project – 3 credits (20 GLH) – J/505/5438
- The candidate will understand issues related to sustainability in construction projects
- The candidate will understand issues related to the local community in construction projects
Unit 2: Roles in Construction Teams – 7 credits (60 GLH) L/505/5439
- understand the importance of teams in construction projects
- understand the role of the architect
- understand the role of the building services engineer
- understand the role of the landscape designer
- understand the role of the site engineer
- understand the role of the facilities manager
Unit 3: Producing a Technical Design and Sharing Information – 3 credits (20 GLH) F/505/5440
- The candidate will use BIM to produce realistic buildings
- The candidate will be able to share information effectively
Unit 4: Planning, costing and presenting a sustainable building project – 3 credits (20 GLH) J/505/5441
- understand issues associated with planning legislation and controls
- understand issues associated with procurement for a construction project
- be able to make effective presentations
This is a Level 1 course with no formal qualifications required. You must however have a real desire and enthusiasm to learn about the DEC industry and apply your English & maths skills.
You will need to meet the course criteria with both practical and basic knowledge requirements.
Successful completion of this course could lead to a Level 2 in Design, Engineer & Construct course.
This is a theory and practical based course where you will be working with real life projects and people.