Fees indicated are based on the current year (August 2016 to July 2017) and are subject to change next year.
Our further education courses (Entry to Level 3) are usually free if you are 16-18 years old. Depending on your circumstances, you may be eligible for financial support to help with other costs associated with your course such as course materials and travel.
If you are aged 19 or over you may be required to pay fees.
If you are enrolling onto a Level 3 or 4 course and are over 19 years of age the fees may be higher and you will be required to take out an Advanced Learning Loan, please see the guide to fees for more information.
International students will be required to pay the full International course fee.
For more information, see our guide to fees.
Are you READY to join the Design Engineer & Construct world!
Then this Intermediate Certificate in Design Engineer & Construct (DEC) is just the course you need to get you ready to be creative and inspiring in the Built Environment world. Through a project based approach DEC applies academic subjects to the latest construction industry practices. This course gives young people a real world practical experience and employability skills.
Units you will cover are as follows:-
Unit 1: Defining a Sustainable Construction Project – 5 credits (40 GLH) R/505/5443
- The candidate will understand a client’s needs
- The candidate will be able to formulate project briefs
- The candidate will understand the constraints on projects
- The candidate will be able to draft plans
Unit 2 Developing a sustainable construction project – 4 credits (30 GLH) Y/505/5444
- The candidate will be able to develop feasible proposals from needs analysis
- The candidate will produce technical support collateral for the project
- The candidate will support development of a project concept
Unit 3: Delivering a Sustainable Construction Project – 4 credits (30 GLH) D/505/5445
- The candidate will be able to carry out a project
- The candidate will be able to respond to technical issues
Unit 4: Evaluating a Sustainable Construction Project – 3 credits (20 GLH) H/505/5446
- The candidate will be able to compare intentions with outcomes
- The candidate will transfer project evaluation to other contexts
This is a Level 2 course therefore you require a Level 1 qualification to join this course. Formal qualifications required. You must also have a real desire and enthusiasm to learn about the DEC industry and apply your English & maths skills.
You will need to meet the course criteria with both practical and basic knowledge requirements. Coursework, E-assessment, Multiple Choice Examination, Portfolio of Evidence, Practical Demonstration/Assignment.
Successful completion of this course could lead to the Advanced Level 3 Certificate in Design, Engineer & Construct course.
This is a theory & practical based course where you will be working with real life projects and people.