If you are travelling to the UK for the purposes of study from outside of the EEA (European Economic area which includes the European Union plus Iceland, Lichtenstein, Norway) and Switzerland, you will need to obtain the appropriate visa to meet the immigration requirements of the United Kingdom.

Tier 4 (General) visa is the main immigration route for study. If you want to study a full-time course which is longer than 6 months in duration you need to obtain a Tier 4 General visa. All non-EEA/Swiss nationals wishing to travel to the UK on Tier 4 must obtain entry clearance prior to leaving their home country.


The College is not currently able to sponsor students who require a Tier 4 visa to study in the United Kingdom. We offer immigration support for students requiring a Short-Term Study visa to study in the UK

Short Term Study visa

This is if you are coming to the UK for a short period of study. You can do a short course of study in the UK, such as an English language course. If you are 18 or over you can spend up to 6 months on any short course or up to 11 months on an English language course.

You don’t need any prior English qualifications to qualify for this route but please note that the this route does not allow you to work, take a work placement, bring dependants, extend your stay or join other courses at the end of your stay.

If you are under 18, you will only be able to apply for the 6 month Short Term Study visa option.

Standard Visitor visa

If you are already in the UK, with a General, Business, or Family Visitor visa to the UK, you can carry out up to 30 days of study in total. The study must be an extra activity that you do during your visit to the UK, and can’t be the main purpose of your visit. You should apply for a Short Term Study visa if the main purpose of your visit is study.

If you are a non-visa national you can apply for ‘leave to enter’ on arrival to the UK. This means you don’t need to apply for your visa in your home country and can arrive and be stamped in at the UK Border. All other non-EEA/Swiss visa nationals must obtain entry clearance in their home country before travelling to the UK.

Other Immigration Categories

Dependant visa, EVW (Electronic Visa Waiver), 6 month entry stamp and other Tiers are also allowed to study. However, we advise that the course cannot exceed the end date of the visa and should not interfere with the main purpose of your visa i.e the job you are sponsored for.

We recommend that you consult the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) website for further information.

Other useful websites for International students: