Here is a list of the top questions to ask at an open day event, we hope these can help you get as much information as possible before making that important decision!
Remember to keep an open mind, make lots of notes and get a list of useful contacts.
- What is the structure and content of the course?
- What is the balance between practice and theory?
- How many hours of teaching time are there per week?
- What’s the split between lectures, tutorials, and self-directed study?
- What assessment methods are used?
- Is there any one-on-one or small group supervision?
- Are there placements offer? where are they? are they paid?
- What academic support is available?
- What are the academic requirements for the course you are interested in?
- Can you still get a place if you don’t quite get the grades?
- Which qualifications and combinations of qualifications do they accept/prefer?
- What other qualities/experience is desirable for applicants to have?
The application process
- What are the main deadlines you need to know about?
- Do they hold interviews?
- What do they look for in your application?
- When will I hear from them after applying for a course?
- Is it worth applying for more than one course?
Your career prospects
- How will the course make you more employable?
- What have previous students gone on to do after finishing the course?
- What careers guidance facilities are there?
- Do they run job fairs?
- Are there any connections with local employers?
- What’s on offer that will provide opportunities to develop employability skills?
Student support services
- What services are offered?
- When are these services available?
- On what platforms is support accessible? (text message, email, social media)
The student experience
- What has been the best thing about the college for you? And the worst?
- How easy is it to get one-on-one time with lecturers and tutors?
- What has been your favourite part of your course so far?
- What has been your favourite on-campus event?
- What kind of skills will I gain from attending this college/course?
- How has this institution shaped who you are as a person?
Facilities and amenities
- Does it have the facilities you expect? And are these up to date?
- Is all the equipment well maintained? Is there plenty of it?
- Are there shops, cafes, restaurants nearby?
- Is there good public transport links?
- Does it feel safe?
- Are most things available on campus?
Societies and opportunities on campus
- What sports and student clubs can you get involved with?
- Do they have college sports teams? Can you join one?
- Can you accommodate these activities with your course schedule?
- Are there any jobs on campus available for students?
- Are there any volunteering opportunities?
UPCOMING OPEN DAYS
|Hammersmith & Fulham College||Tuesday 5 June 2018||4PM - 7PM|
|Ealing Green College||Tuesday 12 June 2018||4PM - 7PM|
|Southall Community College||Tuesday 26 June 2018||4PM - 7PM|