In January 2002, Hammersmith and West London College merged with Ealing Tertiary College to form Ealing, Hammersmith and West London College. However, each of our Colleges have their own histories which have helped define us as an institution – wherever we can, we have added links so that you can read more about them.
At Hammersmith and Fulham College, we can trace our roots back as far as 1881 when Hammersmith School of Art and Building was founded in Brook Green (there was also another building located in Lime Grove, in Shepherd’s Bush). As well as textile design, ceramics and print making, students could choose to study plumbing, welding, plastering and brick-laying.
Chelsea College of Art and Design absorbed some of the College’s Arts provision in 1928, when it took on West London College (then sited in Holland Park). At that point, the name of the College became the more recognisable Hammersmith and West London College in 1975.
Ealing Green College
Ealing Grammar School for Boys opened in 1913 as Ealing County School and expanded its rolls in 1936. After Ealing Borough Council adopted the comprehensive system of secondary education, the school became Ealing Green High School (a boy’s school). In 1992 the school was taken over by Ealing Tertiary College.
Ealing Green College is home to our Institute of Media, opened by former BBC Director General, Greg Dyke Being close to Ealing Studios, the College is ideally situated to attract would-be directors and media professionals like former student Jamal Edwards, MBE, founder of SBTV a youth channel covering the music scene and more.
Acton Construction & STEM Centre
Acton can be traced back as far as 1899 when Acton and Chiswick Polytechnic began its life. Later, it became Acton Technical College, and some of its provision was taken by the West London Institute. In 1957 The College changed its name to Acton College of Education and Brunel College of Technology took some of its provision (later becoming Brunel University). The College then took on Thomas Huxley College before becoming part of Ealing Tertiary College in 1992.
Southall Community College
In 1929, Southall College of Technology was founded as a boys’ technical school. It merged with Southall Grammar School in 1963, and later became Villiers High School. However the skills provision was transferred to Norwood Hall Institute of Horticultural Education, which later became part of Ealing Tertiary College.
We are proud to list amongst our former students: