12 Facts about Albert Einstein that you might not know
- Apparently Einstein was plagued by speech difficulties and could not speak until he was 4 years old. Even then he would repeat words and sentences over and over again until the age of 7!
- When Einstein was 17, he renounced his German citizenship to avoid military service.
- His favourite toy at the age of 5 was a simple pocket compass that his Father gave him. From then on he was obsessed with magnetism!
- Einstein really hated wearing socks, and refused to wear them whenever possible.
- After his Theory of Relativity was proven right in 1919, Einstein became an overnight celebrity! He suddenly received invitations from around the world, meeting the Emperor of Japan and visiting the White House.
- Einstein was considered an enemy of the Nazi Regime, with a huge reward placed on his head. In 1933 he moved to the US to escape the Nazis and became good friends with Charlie Chaplin.
- Einstein never learnt how to swim, but enjoyed sailing throughout his life.
- In 1952, Einstein declined the offer to become President of Israel.
- Even though Einstein is famous for his Theory of Relativity, he didn't actually win the Nobel Prize for that theory. In fact he won it for his pioneering work on photoelectric effects.
- "The Investigation of the State of Aether in Magnetic Fields" was Einstein's first scientific paper, which he wrote at the age of 16.
- When Einstein died in 1955, his brain was stolen within 8 hours of his death by a pathologist, Thomas Harvey, who kept it for more than 40 years.
- Einstein's eyeballs were removed and given to his eye doctor - Henry Abrams. They are kept in a safe box in New York City.
Could you be the next Einstein? Find out about our Applied Science courses here: https://www.wlc.ac.uk/courses/science-maths